Updated: Feb 7
Simple. Elegant. Delicious. A classic cake made from extra virgin olive oil, with a burst of orange citrus. Light. Moist. Perfect with an espresso or a cup of tea.
See the clean, simple ingredients list below and easy to follow instructions. You can also watch the video below, for detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to prepare this gorgeous cake.
LIGURIAN OLIVE OIL CAKE
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Bake Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Servings: 10 Servings
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cup EVOO (use a good brand with a citrus undertone)
1 1/4 cup whole milk
Rind and juice of 1 whole orange
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Icing sugar for dusting on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Next, butter or oil a 9-inch cake pan or bundt pan and then dust with flour.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Next, add the extra virgin olive oil and whisk until well combined. Add the whole milk, orange juice, and orange zest and whisk.
3. In a mesh sieve, combine the sugar, salt, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Sieve/sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Then, whisk until well combined.
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean, approximately 1 hour. Keep an eye on the cake as it may be done sooner.
5. Once cooked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes. Next, run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto a plate and continue to let it cool, fully.
6. Once fully cooled down, place some icing sugar into a mesh sieve and sift over top of the cake.
That's it! Enjoy.